[FFmpeg-user] what are the ffmpeg default options for media conversion?

Atish Kathpal atish.kathpal at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 09:24:41 CET 2012

Hello

I am curious to know what is the default quality of video we obtain from
the source video file.

Eg:
When I say "ffmpeg -r 25 -s 1920x1080 -i Source.yuv -sameq Dest.avi", I get
a bigger Dest.avi as compared to when I just say, ffmpeg -r 25 -s 1920x1080
-i Source.yuv Dest.avi". What was teh default quality taken as in the later
case?

I know that there is an option "-q" ranging from 1 to 31 (with 1 being best
quality). So what is the default quality taken as for the destination file,
when -q or -sameq not specified explicitly? Is there a way for me to find
this out?

I also want to compare the transcoding times and size of files for various
quality values. Is "-q" the right way to do that or should i use some other
option?

Thanks
Atish