[FFmpeg-user] Zeranoe Windows builds spiking CPU to 100% randomly

Andy Sheen sheen.andy at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 11 22:40:11 CEST 2012

Roger Pack wrote on Wed 11 Jul at 21:08 UK time
>> I'm happy to help debug further rather than just stop here....
>>
>> Andy
>
> It would be interesting to know why pthreads fails but win32threads
> succeeds.  Also I assume that if you compile it with w32threads
> enabled and use -threads 0 I presume it does use all the available
> cores?

I agree it would be interesting - and even more interesting why the
commit the git bisect causes the issue (and only with the avconv build
and not the ffmpeg from the same source tree). I'm at a bit of a loss to
debug further - monitoring the process changes the behaviour - I don't
think gdb will do anything useful (I installed mingw gdb and it still
doesn't recognise the file - I guess as it's a 32bit build of mingw...)
as you can't CTRL-C the process when it is in this state.

-threads 0 does use all the cores.

I know you're on Zeranoes forums a bit, do you know why he uses pthreads?

> -r

Andy