[FFmpeg-user] Converting to WMV - Fails under Media Player

Tim Bradstock tim.bradstock at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 22 19:32:58 CEST 2012

Dear All,

I'm trying to convert FLV files to WMV using FFmpeg GPL (Shared) but
Windows Media Player is refusing to play the resulting WMV and reports
"Windows Media Player encountered a problem...error message C00D11B1".

For reference I'm using FFmpeg git-85761ef 32-bit Shared (2012-07-20) but
have also tried earlier builds and also a LGPL build without success.

The command line I'm using is...

ffmpeg -y -i Input.flv -vcodec wmv2 -acodec wmav2 -b:v 1000k -b:a 160k -r
25 output.wmv

FFmpeg generates the output without any warnings.

The above command line comes straight from WinFF and WinFF generates the
WMV perfectly i.e. one that plays correctly under Media Player.

Given WinFF is able to successfully generate WMV that play under Media
Player, I don't want to start copying across more codecs to solve the
problem as there must be a solution that will work with the default install
of Media Player.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Tim Bradstock