[FFmpeg-user] using ffmpeg gnu gpl version 3 in commercial software via command line

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Jul 29 13:30:00 CEST 2012

אהרון מלאכי <aharonmalachi <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I wolud like to use the binary ffmpeg under gpl gnu
> version 3 in a commercial software.
> I'll not use or compile the code or any dll, just using the
> ffmpeg.exe binary file via command line to cut and covert film.

Please note that the GPL covers neither compilation nor usage
(both are "allowed" in whatever situation afaict), it only
covers distribution.
If you distribute a binary that is covered by the LGPL or the
GPL (or in other words: If you distribute a binary based on
FFmpeg source code), then you have to fulfill the requirements
of the respective license for the binary that is based on
source published under the LGPL or the GPL.

> Do you think it could be a license problem?

Please ask your lawyer.

> Do I need to add credit to FFmpeg in the about box?

I hope you understand that you will not find many friends if
you ask if you can use software that we offer for free without
giving credit (this is completely orthogonal to the license
question imo).

Carl Eugen