[FFmpeg-user] FFv1: newer ffmpeg builds create larger files?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Sun Jun 3 14:28:12 CEST 2012

I'm currently testing FFv1.3, and during these tests I saw that even if
I transcoded ffv1->ffv1 with "-level 1", the resulting files were bigger
than the original FFv1 input file created with an old version of
ffdshow-tryouts (Lavf52.111.0)

Example:

"original.avi" (encoded in realtime using Virtualdub + ffdshow-tryouts):
452433486 Bytes

Transcoded:
"$ffmpeg -i original.avi -acodec copy -vcodec ffv1 -level 1 -g 1"
473632234 Bytes

This is is almost 20 MB more per-minute than the old "original.avi",
although both are encoded using with FFv1.1.

Is there any explanation for this?
...and do I have any possibility to verify/check/see the ffv1-parameters
the original file actually has? Maybe it has a GOP>1 and I'm not aware
of it?

Thanks in advance,
Pb