[FFmpeg-user] corrupted media?

Gabri Nurtinaz Shally gabri.ns at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 20:09:36 CEST 2012

On Jun 4, 2012 12:52 AM, "Albretch Mueller" <lbrtchx at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I recently got a commercial DVD of a movie and right while placing it
> in the caddy it (sometimes) apparently gave me reading errors
>
> $ Advanced probing on /dev/sr0 failed while reading block size
> Disc in /dev/sr0 is a Video DVD
>
> but sometimes it doesn't
>
> $ Disc in /dev/sr0 is a Video DVD
> Disc in /dev/sr0 is a Video DVD
>
>  Then if you try to play it using mplayer it gives you lots of mostly
> "frame CRC" and "mismatch sync" errors
>
>  It seems to be a movie using a very old DVD format ([1984] "Once Upon
> a Time in America"), but it seems to be physically OK (no
> outward/obvious signs of wear at all) and the owner claims it was
> played just a few times. I also tried using VLC to no avail.
>
>  Is there a way to watch that movie using mplayer?

maybe the disc is encrypted.
can you copy the disc content to harddrive?
it is better to play it from there, and to be sure that it is not a
corrupted media.
after copied, try play it using libdvdcss builted in mplayer. try this:
mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/copied/content

btw, this is ffmpeg user mailing list, not mplayer, in case you choose the
wrong address