[FFmpeg-user] For aac: which lib - aac? libaacplus? libfaac?

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Wed Jun 13 23:33:40 CEST 2012

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 17:08:26 -0400
sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/11/2012 10:19 PM, sean darcy wrote:
> > For encoding aac, which lib is preferred? aac has lots of bad notices,
> > but has it been fixed? libfaac web site says it's not really good. And I
> > can't find much on libaacplus.
> >
> > Which lib are people using?
> >
> > sean
>
> Isn't anybody encoding with aac?
>
> sean

FFmpeg can also encode with libvo_aacenc. Why not try them yourself and
see what you like best? For LC-AAC with similar bitrates I'd probably
assume:

qaac (Apple) > neroaacenc > faac => libvo-aacenc > ffaacenc

Of course not all of these are supported by FFmpeg, but you can pipe to
some external encoders such as faac or neroaacenc (note that I'm not
actually recommending these but just giving you yet another option).
Also not all of these are open source which may factor in your decision.

For HE-AAC I'm not sure what the order would be or what supports that,
so that's why I omitted libaacplus from my list of crappy opinion.

I wouldn't write off ffaacenc (-acodec aac) entirely. It's listed as
experimental, but if it sounds good enough to you then go for it.