[FFmpeg-user] Can you encode lossless Motion JPEG 2000 videos with ffmpeg using the right command line arguments?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue Jun 19 15:28:47 CEST 2012

Quoting David Rice <daverice at mac.com>:

> On Jun 18, 2012, at 9:17 PM, Gabri Nurtinaz Shally wrote:
>
>> On Jun 19, 2012 8:00 AM, "Shyamal Chandra" <shyamalc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can you encode lossless Motion JPEG videos with ffmpeg using the right
>>> command line arguments?
>>>
>>> I want to convert an uncompressed AVI into a lossless Motion JPEG 2000.

As Dave has already pointed out, it's possible, but
not-so-straightforward. As this is often the case when handling
JPEG2000 lossless, might I ask about what your actual use-case is?

Because if you're just looking for a good lossless codec, you could
try FFv1 - it's compression rate is comparable to JPEG2000-lossless,
and it's way faster.

Regards,
Pb