[FFmpeg-user] Will you pls give me some advice? // A question: ffplay can not play from the given time

Andrey Utkin andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 10:54:58 CET 2012

2012/3/1  <chenct1976 at sina.com>:
> Hello everybody,
> I played the file Wildlife.wmv(Win7 OS Sample Videos) by using ffplay comand, but it can not play from the given seconds.
> OS: Win7 32Bit + Wingw
> ffplay version: V0.10
> Command line: ./ffplay_g -i Wildlife.wmv -ss 2
> Expected result: play the video file from the 2nd second.
> Test result: play from 0 second.

As far as i know, you can seek (jump in time) only to keyframe
location. Keyframes can be located with interval of several seconds.
Thus you request to start from 2 seconds offset, but ffmpeg plays from
closest keyframe that is at 0 seconds offset.
I think for now you can pass your file through ffmpeg, to cut off
unneeded beginning of file.
Or write application using ffmpeg API that will skip video not by
seeking, but by decoding every frame and not displaying unneeded ones.

--
Andrey Utkin