[FFmpeg-user] Real-time H.264 to TS transcoding?

charley a chabboud at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 21:08:45 CET 2012

I have been using ffmpeg to convert complete h.264 files to mpeg-2 transport streams using the command: ffmpeg -i input_file.h264 -vcodec copy -acodec copy output_file.ts.

What I would like to do is be able to convert h.264 data as it is coming in via dedicated Ethernet in real-time. Before going off and writing my own transcoder, can this be easily done with ffmpeg (assuming I can already capture h.264 elementary bitstream and dump it a file on the hard drive)?

So: h.264 -> file -> ffmpeg -> ts