[FFmpeg-user] Grabbing quality from TV card

Rodney Baker rodney.baker at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 12 23:51:08 CET 2012

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 06:53:23 tovis wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm trying to grab video (at first) from a Pinacle PCTV Pro (TV + FM
> stereo receiver) as lspci shows. I have some success, but the quality is
> really wrong :( I have tested TV using fbtv and it was good enough, but
> grabbing using command:
>
> ffmpeg -v 10 -s 640x480 -r 25 -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0 out0.avi
>
> gives me really low quality result. I'm not sure what is wrong but the
> result contains, scratches and digital noise, also some rude "combined"
> pixels. I have try to lower resolution such as 320x240 but the result is
> even worth.
>
> I'm using Debian squeeze, with binary packaged ffmpeg version
> SVN-r0.5.6-4:0.5.6-3
> Any suggestion?
>
> Sincerely
>   tovis

Order of options is important. Move -i to the first command in your list. At
the moment you're setting parameters for the input file, then specifying the
input file, then the output file with no parameters (thus using defaults).

Remember, when asking for help on this list *always* post your command line
and *full uncut console output* from ffmpeg, otherwise you won't get the help
you need (because unless it is really obvious, as in this case, without the
console output no-one can tell what is going on.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker at iinet.net.au