[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg-0.5.5 on MinGW64

ffmpeg at csmiller.demon.co.uk ffmpeg at csmiller.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 11:35:01 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to build ffmpeg-0.5.5 for MS Windows 7 64bit. I realise that it
is an old version, but there are several API changes after 0.5.5 that will
make it hard to integrate the latest version into my company's project.

I downloaded MinGW32 from
http://garr.dl.sourceforge.net/project/mingw/Installer/mingw-get-inst/mingw-get-inst-20111118/mingw-get-inst-20111118.exe

and MingGW64 from
http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/project/mingw-w64/Toolchains%20targetting%20Win64/Automated%20Builds/mingw-w64-bin_i686-mingw_20111220.zip

However,
MingGW defines
#define __MINGW32_MAJOR_VERSION     3
#define __MINGW32_MINOR_VERSION     20

and MinGW64 defines them as
#define __MINGW32_MAJOR_VERSION 3
#define __MINGW32_MINOR_VERSION 11

According to its configure script ffmeg 0.5.5 for MinGW64 requires 3.15 or later.

I asked yesterday on the MinGW64 list
(mingw-w64-public AT lists.sourceforge.net) for advice; a user there said to increment the MinGW64 version number.
I changed it to 3.20, and the w32api version from 3.12 to 3.13.

However libavdevice\vfwcap.c has this code

#include "libavformat/avformat.h"
#include <vfw.h>
#include <windows.h>

and the MinGW64 verison of vfw.h doesn't #define / typedef DWORD etc,
which causes a compile failure.

The configuration command was
./configure --enable-memalign-hack --cc=x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc.exe

Can anyone remember what version of MinGW64 was used to build
ffmpeg-0.5.5?

TIA,
Colin S. Miller