[FFmpeg-user] pcm_s16le (and flac) in TS fails

Etienne Buira etienne.buira.lists at free.fr
Sat Mar 24 10:44:41 CET 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 09:31:18AM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Etienne Buira <etienne.buira.lists <at> free.fr> writes:
>
> > I did this kind of thing with avi in the past, but it is not working
> > anymore at the concat step, so I tried with a container designed to be
> > concatenable (even if from what I understand, avi should be, as long as
> > index is not wished).
>
> Did you report this?
> (Although I don't understand how avi can be concatenated, given it has
> a header).

I don't remember doing so, or maybe posting to this list.
AVI can, to some extend be concatenated. I don't know the gory details
of containers formats nor codecs, but for sure an mencoder FAQ entry
stated that you could join two avi files sharing same codec, resolution,
by cating them and then rebuilding index.

> > If you have a better idea of catable container/lossless video
> > codec/lossless audio codec that is usable with ffmpeg (and that offers
> > some compression, at least for video part), I'd buy it!
>
> Do you really hear any difference between lossless and
> -acodec (e)ac3 -ab 640k ?

Didn't try actually, and I assume I don't, but streams might be
processed many times before final lossy encode, so using lossless
seams the most reasonable option to me.