[FFmpeg-user] Need help converting videos for on-demand-streaming

bat guano batguano999 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 30 06:41:32 CEST 2012

> I have several questions I couldn't find answers for. I hope someone
> on this mailing list could help out:
>
> 1. How does variable bitrate in aac work?
> Instead of copying the stream and using a fixed bitrate for the 480p
> videos or videos with other codecs I think it'd be better to use a
> variable bitrate depending on the source material. How do I do this?

Quality-related options:
  -q <quality>    Set default variable bitrate (VBR) quantizer quality in percent.
        (default: 100, averages at approx. 120 kbps VBR for a normal
        stereo input file with 16 bit and 44.1 kHz sample rate; max.
        value 500, min. 10).
Information above is excerpt from "faac --long-help".
So when using libfaac with FFmpeg....
You would use it like this.....
-codec:a libfaac -q:a 100

Choose a quality value from 10 to 500.