[FFmpeg-user] Oddity decoding DVCProHD and XDCAM

Mark Himsley mark at mdsh.com
Sat Mar 31 22:29:56 CEST 2012

On 31/03/2012 17:11, Mike Szumlinski wrote:
> I did some searching on the list and did not see anything relevant, so I hope this isn't a repost.  I have compiled and installed the latest git version as of today (N-39412-gec0965b) and have tried throwing a few broadcast formats at ffmpeg for encode to H264.  Doing DNxHD and AppleProRes 422 both worked and the result was a viewable H264 mp4 file.
>
> However, when my input file is a DVCProHD quicktime movie or an XDCAM MXF file, ffmpeg seems to start encoding without issue or error, but upon opening the output file all I see is gibberish and digital distortion.

Hi Mike,

Since you are specifically asking about broadcast format outputs, you
might find FFmbc slightly better suited to your needs. I know that some
broadcasters have invested in that project, and I know that DCVProHD and
XDCAM produced by that project definitely work in broadcast equipment.

Sorry that does not answer your specific FFmpeg related questions.

--
Mark