[FFmpeg-user] ffserver rtsp streaming

han hmg2425 at gmail.com
Tue May 8 11:10:21 CEST 2012

Hi I've successfully setup a streaming server to stream live video from my
webcam using ffserver.
I've been able to stream it using asf and flash, and it is working pretty
well.

I just have a small delay problem (around 5 secs), but the reason could be
that I'm using a really old laptop as streaming server.

Anyway, what I really need right now is to stream using rtp/rtsp, my config
file looks like this:

Port 8090
# bind to all IPs aliased or not
BindAddress 0.0.0.0
# max number of simultaneous clients
MaxClients 1000
# max bandwidth per-client (kb/s)
MaxBandwidth 10000
# Suppress that if you want to launch ffserver as a daemon.
NoDaemon

<Feed feed1.ffm>
File /tmp/feed1.ffm
FileMaxSize 5M
</Feed>

<Stream test.asf>
Format rtp
Feed feed1.ffm
VideoCodec flv
# this must match the ffmpeg -r argument
VideoFrameRate 15
# generally leave this is a large number
VideoBufferSize 80000
# another quality tweak
VideoBitRate 200
# quality ranges - 1-31 (1 = best, 31 = worst)
VideoQMin 1
VideoQMax 5
VideoSize 160x128
# this sets how many seconds in past to start
PreRoll 0
# wecams don't have audio
Noaudio
</Stream>

then I use ffmpeg to get the video from my camera with this command:
ffmpeg -s 160x128 -f video4linux -i /dev/video0 -r 15
http://localhost:8090/feed1.ffm

Then it starts encoding without problems.

Still when I go to VLC or Totem and open rtsp://localhost:8090/test.asf on
the server, I'm unable to watch the stream.

I would like to know if anyone has experience doing streaming over rtp with
ffserver, and how can i make it work

thx