[FFmpeg-user] Loss of anamorphic aspect ration in conversion from MKV/H264 to MpegTS/H264

Ulrik Mikaelsson ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com
Thu May 17 18:26:29 CEST 2012

> At the container level, mpegts does not support specifying a video aspect
> ratio. It's assumed that the video elementary stream takes care of that.
>
> In h.264 elementary stream, aspect ratio is optional. If you have the
> standard, see appendix E.1.1, "aspect_ratio_idc".
>
> It seems your original streams don't contain this field. If you want this to
> work in mpegts, you'll need a tool that inserts this information in the
> elementary stream itself.
>
> I'm not aware of such a tool. You could re-encode, of course.
Thank you, very informative.

I guess this is exactly it then, that the original MKV-file has the
aspect-ratio in the MKV, but missing in the H264-stream, and when
changing to mpegts, there's no place to put the aspect-ratio in the
mkv. I guess it will be transcoding for me then, time to buy some more
CPU.