[FFmpeg-user] Video files splitting and merging issue

Jim Shupert jshupert at pps-inc.com
Wed May 23 20:47:09 CEST 2012

> 20th minute to 30th minute, ffmpeg will have
> >>  to parse the video till 20th segment and then start processing.
Chris has this matter - and i have a similar Q - that may serve chris.
I seem to recall that the order matters / placement in the command matters.
meaning there is an ideal location for the -ss Num & the -t Num

example:
ffmpeg -i G:\location1\0045.mpg -ss 00:30:13:28 -t 00:00:02:28 -target
ntsc-dvd -vcodec copy -acodec copy G:\location2\0045-023.mpg
is calling -ss Num & -t Num after the -i  the best place
is theer a location in the command that makes this '30 min seek' quicker?
and what would that be?

Basically  of    ffmpeg -ss Num -t Num -i <file>    or     ffmpeg  -i
<file> -ss Num -t Num
is one superior in performance than the other?

thanks

jS