[FFmpeg-user] Get the codec used

Rossana Guerra guerra.rossana at gmail.com
Thu May 24 09:48:30 CEST 2012

2012/5/24 Rossana Guerra <guerra.rossana at gmail.com>

> 2012/5/24 Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>
>
>> Rossana Guerra <guerra.rossana <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> >  ffmpeg -i  video3.avi
>> >
>> > [mp3 @ 0x25f9c00] Header missing
>>
>> This does not look like complete, uncut console output...
>>

> Actually not, the whole information thrown by the command was sent but the
> ffmpeg version and other related stuff which hadn't to do with file
> information. I supress in order to give a clean output.
>

>> > However if I try to concatenate them with mencoder it doesn't
>> > allow due to differents codecs.
>>
>> Why do you think that MEncoder (that is an unmaintained application
>> for many years) known the codec better than FFmpeg?
>>

> Actually I don't which is better. I am clearly new in this subject. Since
> Mencoder is widely used I didn't thinks it could be a problem.
> In fact it concatenates well unless files with different codec/fps.
>

>> Are you sure this is supposed for avi files with different frame
>> rate?
>>
> If you meant about Mencoder it seems it is not, however the error message
> specifies a different codec not frame rate.
>

>> Did you try ffmpeg's concat protocol?
>>
> No, I didn't. I'll tray it later then. Thank for your suggestion.
>
> Regards
>
> Rossana
>

>> Carl Eugen

I did the concatenation according
http://ffmpeg.org/faq.html#How-can-I-join-video-files_003f

mkfifo intermediate1.mpg
mkfifo intermediate2.mpg
ffmpeg -i input1.avi -same_quant -y intermediate1.mpg < /dev/null &
ffmpeg -i input2.avi -same_quant -y intermediate2.mpg < /dev/null &
cat intermediate1.mpg intermediate2.mpg |\
ffmpeg -f mpeg -i - -same_quant -c:v mpeg4 -acodec libmp3lame output.avi

The cat doesn't work, there's a similar command in Mencoder. It complains
about different frame rate and/or codec.

However my original question was if I could know the file avi codecs. Is
the ffmpeg -i file.avi correct command?

Thanks

Rossana