[FFmpeg-user] Changing DAR without filtering file?

js3142 jsjs3142 at hotmail.co.uk
Sun May 27 21:27:17 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a very basic (and I fear possibly dumb) question that I would be
grateful if anyone had time to answer for me.

I have a number of h264 encoded videos at a 720x480 resolution which should
correctly be viewed with a 4:3 Display Aspect Ratio (DAR). However, the DAR
of the files is set to 3:2. I have found that I can correct this by using
the –aspect command but this results in the whole file being filtered, which
obviously takes a while and will lead to me having to get my head around
lots more options. My question is, is there any way of changing the DAR
without needing to filter the whole file? Naively I thought this was
essentially header information on a file that could be changed simply on its
own?

Just in case it’s relevant, the command I’ve been using is of the form:

ffmpeg –i InputFile.mp4 –aspect “4:3” OutputFile.mp4

(I also tried the setdar command but the result was the same.)

Thanks very much for any help.