[FFmpeg-user] Extracing H264 from RTP packets

Joseph Rosensweig jrosensw at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 07:36:28 CET 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Joseph Rosensweig <jrosensw <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > That was one of my desperation attempts.  I tried a variety of
> > permutations.  Don't worry about that .  I originally did:
> >
> > ffmpeg -i polycom.sdp -i polycom.rtp polycom_rtp.h264
>
> Then please provide the complete, uncut console output
> of:
> $ ffmpeg -i polycom.sdp -qscale 2 out.avi
> (assuming it fails)
>
> Please do not top-post here, it is considered rude,
> Carl Eugen

Sorry, my mail application defaults to the top post.  I'll have to
reconfigure that.  I solved my issues though:

Okay so I ended up using videosnarf.  Here are my steps:

#1  Download and install videosnarf from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ucsniff/files/videosnarf/videosnarf-0.63.tar.gz/download

   --  You may need to install libpcap-devel and libnet for this to build
and install.

#2  Capture the video stream with wireshark and make sure to filter out
only the RTP stream you want.

#3  Use videosnarf on the capture:  "videosnarf -i filename.pcap -c"

   --  This will generate an h.264 file.

#4  Run this file through ffmpeg.  Boom!