[FFmpeg-user] trouble converting from .aif on Ubuntu 10.04 server

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Nov 4 23:56:02 CET 2012

lapostal <lapostal <at> marue.at> writes:

> that's quite interesting, as that version is what
> Ubuntu installs when using apt. I already had the
> suspicion, now i know for sure, that Ubuntu 10.04's
> ffmpeg packages are quite outdated.

They are not simply outdated.
(While that by itself is not good, it is
also true for many/most other packages.)
The package is intentionally broken in the
sense that it does not contain FFmpeg but
a fork that does not backport bug-fixes
(including security-relevant ones) from
FFmpeg.
See http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html