[FFmpeg-user] Segment Metadata

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue Nov 6 23:51:04 CET 2012

On 11/06/2012 11:13 PM, Jeremy Whitaker wrote:
> What I'm wondering is if
> there's a way to tell ffmpeg to set the segment start time metadata to
> 0 seconds as the segments are being created. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

I also wanted to use the segment functionality, and also suffered from
the problem that the segment timestamps were not set to 0.
(e.g. parsing the duration returns confusing/misinterpretable results)
I've read some threads on this list about this topic and as I understood
it keeping the original timecode is intentional.

I'm working a lot with segmented videos in different applications and
I'm having problems with files split by ffmpeg's "segment" function,
whereas files split with (a) other apps or (b) individually segmented
using ffmpeg work seamlessly - anywhere.

What is the benefit of keeping the original timecode?

Thanks,
Pb