[FFmpeg-user] Couple of newbie questions

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Wed Nov 7 11:04:02 CET 2012

Hello

I have two questions about Ffmpeg (N-46146 for Windows):

1. Can it give information about a file, so I don't have to use
MediaInfo to know eg. which codecs were used for video and audio?

2. The input file used mpeg2video and AC-3, but the following commands
don't work:

ffmpeg -ss 0 -i input.mpg -t 60 -c:v libx264 -c:a copy output.x264.mpg
=> No video, no sound

ffmpeg -ss 0 -i input.mpg -t 60 -c:v copy -c:a copy output.mpg
=> No sound

I'm surprised that the second command don't work as planned, since I'm
telling Ffmpeg to simply copy video and audio.

Are there better ways to further compress that 2h30 video from its
original size of 10.5GB?

Thank you.