[FFmpeg-user] Unable to read from stdin for certain .MOV files

Jesse Gordon tojesseg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 19:43:40 CET 2012

On 11/08/2012 05:59 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Jesse Gordon<tojesseg<at>  gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> I seem unable to read with ffmpeg from stdin for .MOV
>> files from my Canon EOS T2I.
> It is not generally possible to read mov files via stdin,
> because it is perfectly normal that mov files contain
> necessary information needed for decoding (like codecs
> etc.) at the very end of the file.
> (This is not a limitation of FFmpeg, but a feature of the
> mov file format.)

Ahh that makes sense. That also explains why I couldn't use dd to cut a
.MOV file in half and play the first half!

>> It used to work in the past I know, but with recent
>> versions it hasn't.
> That is extremely unlikely / you tested a different mov
> file.

I was thinking about that. I know that at one point I modified my
converter script to read from pipes, and I know it worked, but I've been
thinking that I must have only tested it on other movie file types and
probably didn't actually test it on a MOV file.

Thank you all very much!

~Jesse Gordon