[FFmpeg-user] stepping one frame at a time in ffplay

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Nov 10 11:45:12 CET 2012

Dave Rice <dave <at> dericed.com> writes:

[...]

Something unrelated first:
Please remember that not everybody reading this mailing
list is a (English) native speaker and it is mostly read
by people in their free time so while too short mails
are of course very bad and you should typically explain
what you are trying to do I wonder if the following
would have been sufficient:
"
I want to seek forward and backward frame-wise with
ffplay, this works fine with FCP but I did not find
out how to do it with ffplay although I read the fine
documentation carefully.
"
(Sorry if I miss something, see above for a possible
explanation.)

You can use "s" to step forward one frame (documented
at the end of "ffplay -h").
Implementing stepping backwards is not trivial, this
is a very, very long-known feature request.

Carl Eugen