[FFmpeg-user] Transcoding 23.98 for DVD for Adobe Encore

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Nov 12 23:12:34 CET 2012

Bob Maple <bobm-ffmpeg <at> burner.com> writes:

> On 11/12/2012 1:31 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>
> >> But re-encoding the working sample does not work,
> >> is that correct?
> >
> > (Please do confirm, I don't think there is a
> > developer who could check.)
>
> Correct.. just using -target film-dvd on it.  Lots
> of things get changed obviously though.

Thank you.

This may or may not be easy to fix, the problem
afaict is that we don't what the (real) problem is...

(Did you already try to send a ffmpeg-encoded file
to Adobe and ask why it gets re-encoded?)

Random things you could try to find a solution:
Look into ffmpeg_opt.c around line 1900 to see
which options are set by -target ntsc-dvd.
You could then try to set them manually
(instead via the target option), compare the
output files to verify that you really have
set all options and finally try to change
them to find out if there is a work-around.

If it's really the pulldown-flag that is
missing, it may be possible to add them by
forcing interlaced mpeg2 encoding.
(something like -flags +ilme+ildct, sorry I
never used it)

Finally, looking at ff_mpeg1_encode_picture_header()
there may be something there that is related to
your original suggestion ("no repeat"?), but
this is just pure guessing.

Carl Eugen