[FFmpeg-user] Converting numerous files to h264

neoculture23 neoculture23 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:05:59 CET 2012

First of all, many thank to all who have been helping me. After reading the
various pages I have had pointed to me, I have made my command line thus:

ffmpeg -i "filename.ext" \
    -vprofile high \
    -preset veryslow \
    -map 0 \
    -threads 0 \
    -c:a copy -c:s copy -c:d copy -c:t copy \
    -c:v libx264 \
    -crf 23 \
    "filename.mkv"

And I'm probably repeating myself with some of these parameters...

I am now playing with the CRF value, and tried a few between 22-24. Here
are the results in terms of sizes:

Original: 288,270,774
Default:  210,738,125 (ffmpeg defaults, no parameters, 73% of original file
size)
crf22:     214,530,280 (Above command line, crf of 22, 74%)
crf23:     193,136,555 (67%)
crf24:     173,912,796 (60%)

Original: 250,068,560
Default:  187,402,004 (75%)
crf22:     190,052,807 (76%)
crf23:     172,670,535 (69%)
crf24:     156,883,580 (63%)

So depending on the crf, I can get a file down to 60-74% of its original
size... which would save me quite a lot of room over all of my rips.

But which crf to use? 22, 23 or 24? I don't think I want to go much outside
that range; do people have any experience about which value they have used
successfully over a large number of video files?