[FFmpeg-user] Concat error - No such filter '[0,0]'

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Wed Nov 14 09:45:22 CET 2012

Le duodi 22 brumaire, an CCXXI, Mike Kavanagh a écrit :
> The problem seems to be if you have a space between input parameters then my
> version of DOS automatically surrounds the parameter with double quotes -
> except for parameters that begin with -i.

You are wrong. It is not the DOS shell that adds the double quotes, it is
the -report option, so that you can know if ffmpeg is receiving a single
argument with spaces in it or several arguments.

> The trouble is that the particular concat command has lots of whitespaces
> within it which results in this happening repeatedly and confusing ffmpeg -
> so you get this type of thing:
>
> input: -filter_complex '[0:0] [0:1] [1:0] [1:1] [2:0] [2:1]
> concat=n=3:v=1:a=0 [a] [v]'
>
> parses to: -filter_complex "'[0:0]" "[0:1]" "[1:0]" "[1:1]" "[2:0]" "[2:1]"
> "concat=n=3:v=1:a=0" "[a]" "[v]'"
>
> yes something strange is happening with the single quotes.

The strange thing happening with the single quotes is, like the dog
incident, that nothing is happening with the single quotes: you put them on
your command line, ffmpeg receives them as-is.

Unix shells use the single quotes to quote arguments disabling all special
characters handling. Obviously your shell does not behave like that.

> Surpress the magic double quotes that automatically apprear in the parsing

Not sustainable.

> Put the filter_complex parameters into a file that will then be referred to
> in the ffmpeg command?
>
> Find a command that will simply concatenate my AV files and don't  require
> this filter_complex. I did look at the join option to no avail.
>
> Move from doc to Unix.

This would probably be a good move for the long run anyway.

> Would welcome any suggestions as to my best option from here?

Your best option is to read your shell documentation to find out how you are
supposed to do the quoting. The output of the -report option gives you the
command exactly as seen by ffmpeg so you can check by yourself.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George