[FFmpeg-user] Overlay Filter Broken?

Andrew Ramberg andyr at paulbunyan.net
Thu Nov 15 21:06:09 CET 2012

On 11/15/2012 01:25 PM, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le quintidi 25 brumaire, an CCXXI, Andrew Ramberg a écrit :
>> I would really appreciate help on this if possible but please don't
>> reply with "read the docs". If everything worked like the docs said
>> they should, many of the questions on this board wouldn't be
>> there...  I've read what I could find in the docs on the movie
>> filter and searched all over for an example that actually works with
>> 0.10.6 and have yet to find one.
> This kind of attitude makes me want not to help. Are you aware that you are
> saying this to the one of persons responsible for the huge improvement of
> ffmpeg's documentation in the last few years?

No, I was not aware of that.  Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate
all the people who contribute to FFMpeg and it's an awesome program! But
the doc's are not a panacea to all our problems and that's why many
people post to this list.  A "read the docs" reply sounds condescending,
in many cases.  Beings Stefano probably wrote the docs, that makes this
an exception.  My apologies...

> The documentation for the 0.10.6 release comes with the 0.10.6 release, in
> the doc/ directory. The documentation for the movie and overlay filters have
> been constantly kept up to date since way before the 0.10 branch.
>
>> Here's my command again and the server response:
>>
>> *./ffmpeg -i rtsp://root:password@192.168.1.5/axis-media/media.amp
>> -vf "movie=/home/webcam/logo/glow.png [logo]; [in][logo]
>> overlay=10:main_h-overlay_h-10 [out]"
>> http://localhost:8090/feed1.ffm *
> This exact same command line, just changing the inputs and output to file
> that I have, with a fresh build of 0.10.6, works perfectly.

What OS are you using?  This is built on CentOS release 6.3 (Final).

>> [buffer @ 0x25745c0] w:1280 h:720 pixfmt:yuvj420p tb:1/1000000
>> sar:1/1 sws_param:
>> [scale @ 0x28bf740] w:1280 h:720 fmt:yuvj420p ->  w:512 h:288
>> fmt:yuv420p flags:0x4
> You should be seeing an info line related to movie and two other related to
> overlay, around here.

I'm not seeing that line. This is what I get.

[scale @ 0x2a2e600] w:1280 h:720 fmt:yuvj420p -> w:512 h:288 fmt:yuv420p
flags:0x4
Output #0, ffm, to 'http://localhost:8090/feed1.ffm':
   Metadata:
     title           : Media Presentation
     encoder         : Lavf53.32.100
     Stream #0:0: Video: flv1, yuv420p, 512x288 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9],
q=1-2, 100 kb/s, 1000k tbn, 29.97 tbc
Stream mapping:
   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 -> flv)
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
[flv @ 0x2a25240] rc buffer underflow
     Last message repeated 11 times
rc buffer underflow q=31.0 size=     156kB time=00:00:01.13
bitrate=1126.5kbits/s

Thank you for your reply!  If the command is correct, any idea why it's
not working then?