[FFmpeg-user] Screencast looks foggy

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Fri Nov 16 19:11:48 CET 2012

Le sextidi 26 brumaire, an CCXXI, Andre Kloth a écrit :
>   http://blubbmon.de/ffmpeg/test.mkv

The file you show here is shows:

Stream #0:0: Video: mpeg4 (Simple Profile), yuv420p

This contradicts your claim to use -vcodec libx264.

> However, I'm not sure if the problem results from the conversion from BGRA to
> YUV420p when recording with x264 (ffmpeg output: "Incompatible pixel format
> 'bgra' for codec 'libx264', auto-selecting format 'yuv420p'").

I do not see the "fog" you speak about, but I see the blurring typical to
chroma sub-sampling.

libx264 can encode to yuv444p, that does not have chroma sub-sampling. It is
compatible with less decoders.

ffmpeg also have libx264rgb, to abuse x264 into encoding RGB. This is even
less compatible.

> Maybe I should just apply some gamma correction?

No, that is completely unrelated.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George