[FFmpeg-user] Screencast looks foggy

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Sat Nov 17 04:58:58 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 06:37 PM, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On 17 November 2012 01:17, Andre Kloth <ffmpeg-users at blubbmon.de> wrote:
> > Do you have any other suggestions?
>
> I have been laboriously putting together a ffmpeg wrapper for screencasts
> here:
> https://github.com/kaihendry/recordmydesktop2.0
>
> I'm not quite sure why you would use:
> -preset ultrafast -crf 0 -sameq -threads 0 -timelimit 1800
>
> Why say no threads for example?

"-threads 0" does not mean "zero threads" but allows x264 to choose the
threads value (number of cores * 1.5, rounded down) for frame based
threads. However, this is now the default behavior so using "-threads 0"
is superfluous.

Usage of "-sameq" is not recommended and has been removed:
<http://ffmpeg.org/faq.html#Why-was-the-ffmpeg-_002dsameq-option-removed_003f-What-to-use-instead_003f>