[FFmpeg-user] Post problem: export long wav files (incorrect/limited length)

Stas Fomin stas-fomin at yandex.ru
Mon Nov 19 14:25:46 CET 2012

19.11.2012, 06:00, "Dave Rice" <dave at dericed.com>:
> On Nov 18, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Stas Fomin wrote:
>

> You can't store more than 4 gigabytes in WAV. For workarounds you could:
> - use WAVE 64, but FFmpeg supports w64 for demuxing but not muxing (could submit a ticket).
> - use multiple output files to export segments in files that are smaller enough for the WAV format size constraints
> - use another file format that doesn't have this size constraints: AIFF, MOV, MKA, NUT, etc

Actually, I have to export to some lossless audio format, to process audiofile with some audioeditor (denoise, compressor, etc). Any lossy format is not an option for audio postproduction because efficient denoising is impossible.

And some facts:
* Audacity support long WAVs (import/export), 9hours — OK.
* VirtualDub exports long WAV from video (and Audacity successfully opens it!).
** So technically it is possible (long continous wav with length > 4GB)!
* ffmpeg export to AIFF have the same problem, as export to WAV — big file, but duration only "2:13:00".
** Other formats is not an option because of lossy or because nothing can work with (W64).
*  Yes, now I use workaround to manually split exported WAV files to several chunks but it breaks my automated toolchain for batch videoprocessing (where ffmpeg is one of the core part)

Well, it is pity.  I hoped that may be there are some magic option to fix the problem, but the world is not perfect (But I still have a little hope..)

   Thanks you for your answer,
      Sincerely, Stas Fomin