[FFmpeg-user] FFserver Development Request and Working Configurations List

Andrew Ramberg andyr at paulbunyan.net
Mon Nov 19 18:25:28 CET 2012

I've struggled to find versions of FFserver that work well recently.
I've used past releases for Flash streaming that were very smooth,
stable and supported the FFMpeg video filters I used.  I'd really love
to see more development on FFserver side of things.  My programing
skills are weak, so I can't help much in that regard.

In my experience FFserver is easier to use than Red5 or Adobe Flash
Server, especially with FFmpeg streams. I'd love to see better support
for HTML5 streaming and Apple HLS along with more work to make sure that
FFserver still works with the fixes and updates to FFMpeg. How can we
encourage more development on FFserver?

Meanwhile, I'd like to suggest if you have a working FFServer please
take a quick look at the system and post what version of FFMpeg/FFserver
your using, Linux Dist, and working stream type/s and source.  I think a
list of  "FFserver working configurations" would be very helpful to
users.  Maybe the information could be updated to the FFserver wiki?

Example:
Stream Description:
Stream Source:
FFserver Format:
Current Linux Dist:
FFmpeg Version (./ffmpeg -version output):

Here's my server config.

Stream Description: Stable Axis Surveillance Camera Mpeg stream To FLV
Stream (with logo -vf overlay)
Stream Source: Axis Webcam (mpeg stream)
FFserver Format:  FLV
Current Linux Dist: CentOS release 5 (Final)
FFmpeg Version (./ffmpeg -version output):

FFmpeg version SVN-r26400, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
   built on Oct 24 2012 12:47:58 with gcc 4.1.2 20070626 (Red Hat 4.1.2-14)
   configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree
--enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame
--enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab --enable-avfilter
--enable-filter=movie --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libvpx
   libavutil     50.36. 0 / 50.36. 0
   libavcore      0.16. 1 /  0.16. 1
   libavcodec    52.108. 0 / 52.108. 0
   libavformat   52.93. 0 / 52.93. 0