[FFmpeg-user] Getting actual video size + ratio

Rodney Baker rodney.baker at iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 21 14:27:16 CET 2012

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 21:53:51 Nathan Malachowski wrote:
> Thanks Nicholas for clearing up the first question.
>
> I'll try to rephrase the second question. basically how do i use the
> resolution (720x480) with the container ratio (sar 40:33 dar 20:11) to come
> up with an actual size of 854x480 (16:9), as it shows in quicktime and
> other media players
>
> from what i've looked up, horizontal width x sar = actual width. But in
> this case, 720 x (40/33) equals 873 not 854. Indeed 873/480 == 20/11, so
> how are the video players coming up with a size of 854 by 480?

Because the pixels aren't square? In which case you also have to multiply by
the PAR (pixel aspect ratio).

And two polite requests:

1. Please don't top post on this list (google it if you don't know what that
is).

2. Please trim your quotes before posting to only those necessary to keep the
reply in context.

Sticking by the established standards of the list will avoid getting people
offside. :-)

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker at iinet.net.au