[FFmpeg-user] different filters to different outputs possible?

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 17:05:06 CET 2012

>> I'm trying to figure out if it's possible, to, for instance, from one
> ffmpeg
>> instance, pass different "end points" of a filter graph to different
> "outputs".
>>
>> I know that ffmpeg can output to several "output file types"
>> simultaneously, like:
>>
>> $ ffmpeg -i input output1 output2 output3
>>
>> Which seems to work well.
>>
>> My question is if it's possible to have different "filters" applied to
> each
>> output, or do they both get "the same output" (only one filter graph
>> possible).  Ideally, you could do something like "scale one input, split
> it and
>> send one branch to an output, send the branch of the split through more
>> filters, then to a different output".  Is this possible today?
>
> I can't check right now, but isn't it simply a matter of command line
> parameter sequencing? I.e. putting the required filter parameter/s in front
> of each output respectively?

It seems from experimentation that if you specify a filter graph
(filter complex at least) then it only applies to the first output
file--the second just gets the straight data, with no filter applied.
So basically you can't send the same filter graph to different
outputs, though I would be happy to be proven wrong...