[FFmpeg-user] Inverse Telecine (30fps to 24fps) targa sequence input

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Nov 21 18:07:50 CET 2012

Derek Gebhart <derek <at> 4stroke.tv> writes:

> ffmpeg -y -framerate 30 -start_number 1 -i
> Boxer_v5_ENG_SD30fps.%04d.tga -vf
> format=yuv420p,mp=detc=am=0:dr=2:fr=0,yadif,setpts='N/(24000/1001*TB)'
> -r 24000/1001 Test.mp4

I believe I already tried to explain in ticket #681:
First, you have to decide if your input material is
interlaced or telecined. If it is telecined, it is
possible to invert the process completely (to get back
the original image quality) with an inverse telecine
filter.
If your input material is interlaced it is already
damaged irreversibly, you can use a de-interlace
filter (like yadif) to reduce the brokenness, but I
don't think you should combine an inverse telecine
and a de-interlace filter.

(And I wonder if setpts would be at the right position
if the filter combination were actually useful.)

Or am I completely wrong and this is what should be
done with 50Hz interlaced PAL material recorded from
NTSC dvb?

> This command line option, above with ("mp=detc"),
> stops FFMPEG from working (crashes).

Please provide either a complete backtrace or a sample.

Carl Eugen