[FFmpeg-user] [x264-devel] use of x264 "within ffmpeg" in a non GPL application [legal]?

Jason Garrett-Glaser jason at x264.com
Tue Nov 20 17:54:05 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've gotten this question a few times:
>
> If somebody is building a proprietary app, which uses "ffmpeg.exe"
> underneath (for example for streaming), where ffmpeg was compiled with
> --enable-gpl and includes x264:  What's your take on this? Should it
> be "allowed" license wise?

The fact that it's within ffmpeg is meaningless; by using
--enable-gpl, ffmpeg is now GPL, and you're using a GPL application
within your program.

However, it is often considered okay, because you're calling
ffmpeg.exe as a separate program, not linking to it, so the provisions
of the GPL may not apply.  I think this is okay, but I'm not a lawyer,
so if you're worried about that, I suggest talking to one.

Jason