[FFmpeg-user] Getting actual video size + ratio

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Nov 22 12:04:14 CET 2012

Le primidi 1er frimaire, an CCXXI, Nathan Malachowski a écrit :
> I realize they aren't square. You should read the post to understand
> my question. multiplying  width by the PAR results in a width of 873,
> not 854 as is shown when viewing it. 873x480 is not a standard size as
> far as i can tell.

Your video clip is obviously badly encoded, the mismatch between the
bitstream and container aspect ratios is proof enough of that. One of the
aspect ratios may be the correct one, but there is no certainty, and you can
not know what stupid processing was done too.

Wild guess: 720×480 16/9 NTSC DVD frame, cropped to 720×470 to remove dirty
edges, then for some reason upscaled to 480.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George