[FFmpeg-user] Getting actual video size + ratio

Rodney Baker rodney.baker at iinet.net.au
Thu Nov 22 14:37:21 CET 2012

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:39:21 Nathan Malachowski wrote:
> > Because the pixels aren't square? In which case you also have to multiply
> > by the PAR (pixel aspect ratio).
>
> I realize they aren't square. You should read the post to understand
> my question. multiplying  width by the PAR results in a width of 873,
> not 854 as is shown when viewing it. 873x480 is not a standard size as
> far as i can tell.

You seemed to be confusing Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) and Storage Aspect Ratio
(SAR) which are not the same.

As much as I recognise that Wikipedia is by no means considered an
authoritative source, this page may shed some light on it for you (I post the
link to avoid regurgitating the whole page here).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_aspect_ratio

> > And two polite requests:
> >
> > 1. Please don't top post on this list (google it if you don't know what
> > that is).
>
> sorry i didn't realize i had to select plain text in gmail when replying
>
> > 2. Please trim your quotes before posting to only those necessary to keep
> > the reply in context.
>
> will do

Thank you. :-)

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV