[FFmpeg-user] How do I make ffplay play without high latency?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Nov 22 19:42:40 CET 2012

Le duodi 2 frimaire, an CCXXI, Carl Eugen Hoyos a écrit :
> Does -probesize improve the situation?
> (I am not sure if it only affects initial latency
> or also while playback.)

AFAIK, ffplay and MPlayer will try to respect the frame rate they find in
the stream (or the default they assume if it is not present). Therefore,
they will not be able to "catch up" with the stream.

ffmpeg ... -f sdl -

should not have that feature, and therefore should be able to catch up.

See also the low_delay flag.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George