[FFmpeg-user] How do I make ffplay play without high latency?

Jesse Gordon tojesseg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 19:58:52 CET 2012

On 11/22/2012 10:42 AM, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le duodi 2 frimaire, an CCXXI, Carl Eugen Hoyos a écrit :
>> Does -probesize improve the situation?
>> (I am not sure if it only affects initial latency
>> or also while playback.)
> AFAIK, ffplay and MPlayer will try to respect the frame rate they find in
> the stream (or the default they assume if it is not present). Therefore,
> they will not be able to "catch up" with the stream.
>
> ffmpeg ... -f sdl -
>
> should not have that feature, and therefore should be able to catch up.
>
> See also the low_delay flag.
>
> Regards,

Nicolas,

Thanks for the tip. However, I'm not using ffmpeg to encode. I'm not
sure if you are suggesting options for the encoding or the decoding process.
My camera encoders to mpeg4 itself and has very low delay. I'm just
trying to play with ffplay, also with low delay.

It looks like (from the man page) that low_delay is only an encoding
option for motion encoding or something - but I could be wrong.

Can you elaborate, perchance?

Thanks & have a great day,

~Jesse