[FFmpeg-user] How do I make ffplay play without high latency?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Nov 22 20:01:42 CET 2012

Le duodi 2 frimaire, an CCXXI, Jesse Gordon a écrit :
> >ffmpeg ... -f sdl -
> Thanks for the tip. However, I'm not using ffmpeg to encode. I'm not
> sure if you are suggesting options for the encoding or the decoding process.

Neither, I was suggesting an option to use ffmpeg to display the video on
the fly. Try it (on a local file, that would be simpler).

> It looks like (from the man page) that low_delay is only an encoding
> option for motion encoding or something - but I could be wrong.

The flags for the "low_delay" option seem to indicate it is relevant both
for encoding and decoding, and I see a lot of decoders actually checking it.

Again, trying it to see if it makes a difference is the most efficient
course of action.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George