[FFmpeg-user] Possible to encode a file with a broken header?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Nov 25 08:06:48 CET 2012

Mr M <redpenguinmail <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry I provided a working sample

Sorry, but this really makes no sense at all.

> because since the other is broken in some way
> I can't seem to find anything that can break
> a piece off to even give a sample.

Use dd as explained on http://ffmpeg.org/bugreports.html
(There is no hard size limit, longer samples are
sometimes useful.)

> ffmpeg and mencoder just spit out an audio file.

This seems to indicate that you can even test the
cut sample but even better would of course be to
test the cut sample with the application that plays
the original, uncut file.

Please do not forget to post your failing command line
together with complete, uncut console output.

Carl Eugen