[FFmpeg-user] How do I make ffplay play without high latency?

Jesse Gordon tojesseg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 04:33:51 CET 2012

On 11/25/2012 12:01 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Jesse Gordon <tojesseg <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Do you know where in the code I should look for
>> adjusting the play frame timing,
> Unfortunately not.
> (And I am not sure "frame timing" is what you are
> searching for. Perhaps there is a buffer constant
> that you can try to reduce.)

Yes - there might be a frame fifo as well.
I may also be dealing with TCP buffers that are storing data and causing
delay.

>> or do I need to sign up for the dev mailing
>> list for that sort of question?
> Such questions are not exactly welcome on the
> developers mailing list, try at the risk of
> being flamed;-)
>
> Carl Eugen

I don't know why the developers would feel the need to flame me just
because I want to add a new and useful feature but I need a little help.
It's not like I haven't exhausted the user mailing list first! But you
still may be right that I'd get flamed :-)

Would I be better off requesting a feature? Do features like that get
added as a result of user requests? Realtime low latency streaming video
is a growing field these days and I think a feature like this would be
extremely helpful to a small percentage but significant number of ffmpeg
users.

It's a feature that mplayer supports, although not nearly as well as it
could.

Thanks again for all your help!

~Jesse