[FFmpeg-user] Quicktime In and Out points

Mark Chandler mchandler at juiceproductionsinc.com
Tue Nov 27 17:28:34 CET 2012

Hello, I am using ffmpeg for a variety of encoding tasks and my source files are always Apple ProRes 422 files. We often get our source files with countdowns at the head and too much black at the tail and we typically use Quicktime Pro to trim out the extra elements at the head and tail. If we do this using the QuickTime player and simply save the file it takes virtually no time at all, as opposed to exporting or saving as which can take some time. The problem is that the data isn't actually removed from the streams, so when I use ffmpeg to encode the file it encodes the full file including the countdown etc. Does ffmpeg have the ability to read these ins and outs from the mov file and then encode based on them?

Mark Chandler