[FFmpeg-user] How do I make ffplay play without high latency?

Jesse Gordon tojesseg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 07:41:19 CET 2012

On 11/27/2012 09:05 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> You could add a feature request for ffplay to
>> "ignore timestamps and display frames as fast
>> as possible"
> What would be the difference between this new
> feature and "ffmpeg -f sdl" ?

The differences would be that it would be a feature to do correctly with
ffplay what can be done as a hack with ffmpeg, essentially.
(No offense, but using the converter to play by converting to the video
buffer so to speak is a hack -- exceedingly clever and wonderful, but
it's still a hack. I love hacks like that.)

The advantages to having a 'benchmark' or 'realtime' option for ffplay
would include it being as part of the player, and also the user could
full-screen ffplay (doesn't seem to work with ffmpeg -f sdl --) and the
user could also close the player by clicking the X (also doesn't work
with the SDL window popped up by ffmpeg -f sdl -) -- and the user could
also use many of the other player controls and play type options that
ffplay has.

The difference might also include tuning to the TCP connection to try to
keep the buffers cleared out.

These optimizations really are all suited to the player rather than the
converter.

> The main reason I ask is that we do not need
> more feature requests, we need more manpower to
> implement the existing ones;-)
>
> Carl Eugen

Indeed - I am well aware that great new features are a lot
easier/quicker to think of than to implement.

And that's why I had asked about getting help on the developer's list to
get me started in the right place adding the feature I wanted.

But alas, I was informed such a request would probably get me flamed ;-)
(which I don't understand..)

Such is life. I'll try to look through ffplay.c from  time to time and
see if I can figure it out and see if I can make it do what I like.
Or maybe it'd be more to the point to use ffmpeg libraries and write my
own simple player. That way it could be built from the ground up with
low latency in mind. Actually I could link ffmpeg and sdl into the
source for wget ha ha. wplay.

Thank you all very much for all your effort on this issue! I really do
appreciate it.

Jesse Gordon