[FFmpeg-user] trouble shooting timecode issue with vfr mov

Bob Maple bobm-ffmpeg at burner.com
Wed Nov 28 21:35:12 CET 2012

On 11/28/2012 1:24 AM, Dave Rice wrote:

> Note that if I omit the -vsync 0 then the timecode is still off but I get duplicated frames instead of a longer-duration frame at the beginning, thus my 2 frame source becomes a 5 frame output. Thus for a lossless transcode from mov to mov I'm using -vsync 0.

Have you tried also forcing the actual frame rate with -r ?  I had an
issue with ffmpeg sometimes writing the wrong frame base into the
timecode atom unless I specified the rate - see thread titled "Copying
h264 Quicktimes makes insane timecode", perhaps it could be related.

Worth a quick try anyway.

Bob