[FFmpeg-user] What is the state of AAC in FFmpeg?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Oct 3 00:40:01 CEST 2012

Werner Robitza <werner.robitza <at> gmail.com> writes:

> FFmpeg has been confusing me a little lately. I used
> to use "libfaac" most of the time, but then I learned
> some static builds like Zeranoe don't include it at all.

It is not legal to distribute GPL'd FFmpeg binaries containing
libfaac (iow, you cannot have x264 and faac in one executable
and distribute it).

> Before FFmpeg 1.0, "libvo_aacenc" seemed to be available,
> but now it doesn't appear to exist anymore.

(Why do you think so?)
libvo_aacenc is still available, some people claim its
quality is worse than the native encoder (I don't know).

> "aac" still works with the "strict" flag though.

Note that small improvements were made, so it could be
seen less experimental than in the past.

> To summarize:
>
> - Which AAC encoders are available and supported?

(Please see configure --help)
native, faac, libvo_aac, libaacplus and libfdk_aac

> - Which ones are enabled by default?

Only the native encoder.
(This has nothing to do with aac, all external codec
libraries are optional).

> - What are the differences and why should one choose
> one over the other?

For some encoders, you will have to use high bitrate to
get acceptable results.

Carl Eugen