[FFmpeg-user] compressed data with sdti

Dave Rice daverice at mac.com
Wed Oct 3 20:54:04 CEST 2012

Hi all,
I'm working with many betacam sx tapes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betacam#Betacam_SX) and trying to determine if there is a process to copy video data as-is from the tape to a file without requiring transcoding or uncompressing the data (similar to dv tape over firewire). I can output the data over SDTI which is a protocol to send compressed video data in the usually visual area of an SDI stream. I tried capturing an SDTI output of a video deck to an SDI capture card to an uncompressed file. I see that the encoded data is stored in a single field of this resulting v210 codec so I hoped to take only that single field and parse out the compressed data (mpeg2 from the tape); however in the resulting data I see none of the usual identities of mpeg2 (gop headers, 0x0001b5, etc).

Here is an avi that contains v210 which should itself contain the compressed data transmission (mpeg2) from the tape: http://archive.org/download/TestCapture10BitDataOfDataPayloadFromSdtiOverSdi/732.avi. I've been digging into this to see if I can identify a working solution with the goal of moving mpeg2-in-tape to mpeg2-in-file (without additional transcoding). Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.
Dave